Monday, November 17, 2014

Thanksgiving Dinner Recipe's

Hi friends! I LOVE THANKSGIVING! Just because my house is already decorated for Christmas does NOT mean I overlook this beautiful holiday. We'll be in California for thanksgiving and really, my mom's thanksgiving is unbeatable.. but I love making my own for my little family too. Last year was the first year I did the whole thing by myself, and it makes you feel pretty darn good about yourself when you pull off the whole meal. I use a bone-in turkey breast. It's so much less intimidating than a full turkey, and I only eat the white meat anyway so the breast wins. It really is super simple. BUT before I go on, I'm not giving you the recipe I used last night because while the turkey tasted fine it wasn't as good as last years. For last nights turkey, I used a brine, and I must have done it wrong because the texture was actually kind of weird for me, and the drippings were so salty that my beloved gravy was consequently too salty. sad sad. With that being said I'll share just a good old fashioned (delish) roasted turkey breast. Oh and since I'm awesome, I was too busy gobbling and cooking to take any pictures. hehe.

Rosemary Roasted Turkey Breast:

6-7 lb bone-in turkey breast (thawed)
2 T fresh rosemary (if you use dried, just use a little less)
1/2 stick of butter (reallllly soft or melted)
1 onion roughly chopped
1 orange roughly chopped
salt and pepper
all purpose seasoning (I love the 21 seasoning salute from trader joes)

Most turkey breasts are frozen, so put it in your fridge as soon as you get it and let it thaw for a day or 2. When you are ready to prep it on thanksgiving pull it out of the bag and rinse it really well, cavity and all. Salt and pepper all over and inside that bad boy. Stuff the inside cavity with your oranges and onion and place your turkey breast side up on your roasting pan ( i suppose you can use just a 9x13 and cover with tin foil) then mix your butter and rosemary and massage it all over the turkey..p.s.  I always wear gloves because I HATE touching raw meat. I can't handle it. Next sprinkle your all purpose seasoning all over.  add about a cup of water or chicken broth to the pan, this will give you a good start for when you make the gravy.

Cook your turkey with the roasting pan lid or foil on for about an hour and a half, then let it cook without it to get a better crisp on the skin. 

You'll Have to read the cooking instructions for your particular turkey but its typically about 2 hours for a 6 lb turkey breast in a 325 degree oven, or until your turkey is at 170 degrees inside. Invest in a meat thermometer, they're cheap and worth it!  Let your bird rest for about 20 minutes before you carve it. Now is a good time to put your rolls in the oven ;)

Gravy
For me, gravy is the star of the show. I put it on EVERYTHING. I strain the drippings and then return the liquid to the roasting pan. I do this on the stove using 2 burners. Turn the burners on low and add a 1/4 cup of butter and about a 1/2 cup of milk and bring to a boil. add a few tablespoons of flour and mix well, keep adding flour until its to your liking. I usually end up using 1/2 to 1 cup. You might need to add salt, just give it a finger taste ;)

Brocolli Casserole
This recipe is from The Pioneer Woman, and she's amazing.
TPW_6563

Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes
6-7 peeled, cubed russet potatoes
6 T cubed butter
1/2 cup chicken stock
milk
sour cream

add ingredients to your crock pot and cook on high for 4 hours, low for 7. After that time add milk and sour cream and mash! Use as much milk and sour cream as you want so it's the consistency you like. This recipe is really easy, you can't go wrong.

Dinner Rolls:
I would eat homemade bread all day every day if I could. It's so heavenly to me. This recipe makes soft buttery rolls but I recommend making them when your oven is empty, bread tends to not turn out as well when your baking it with other dishes. I know that's hard on thanksgiving.. but you could easily make this recipe earlier in the day and then just warm your rolls before dinner and they'll still be divine. I got this recipe from Cooking Classy.


Fresh Cranberry Sauce
1 package fresh cranberries
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup cran/raspberry juice
Juice and zest of half a lemon

pour all ingredients into a sauce pan and bring to a boil, then let simmer long enough for the sauce to become jelly-like. Let cool and serve. You'll never eat that canned stuff again.


There you have it!I hope you enjoy the recipes and please let us know if you use any of them! We love hearing from you. Happy Thanksgiving!

xoxo,
Michelle







No comments:

Post a Comment