Thursday, September 18, 2014

Baked Pesto Pasta


Last Saturday, around 8 pm I decided I should figure out what I was going to make for dinner Sunday night. 
We had two pieces of chicken left, 2 biscuits, and well other things that just weren't going to cut it for a Sunday dinner. 
So, I hopped in the car and went to the grocery store.
We clearly live in a college town because everyone else decided to go at 8:30 pm too.
I went having no idea what I was going to make.
I remembered I had some leftover carrots from last weeks roast, leftover bow tie pasta from this dish, and pesto just sounded good.
And that, is how this recipe came to be. 

Ingredients:


  • 10.5 oz. can cream of chicken soup
  • 6 oz. package provolone cheese
  • Foil packet of pesto (and ingredients to make it, oil and water)
  • About 1/2 a pound bow tie pasta
  • Cooked and chopped chicken (I used the whole package I bought but when I make this again I'll do about 4 or 5 tenders)
  • Steamed carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower (About 3 cups)
  • Uncooked cherry tomatoes (i grabbed a big handful and cut them in half)
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
  • 1/2 cup milk
Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 375

2) Steam veggies, boil pasta, and cook chicken. 
(Remember that you will be baking all the ingredients so keep the veggies on the firm side, and the pasta a little less done)


3) Make Pesto as directed on package. Once it's brought to a boil, stir, then turn to medium low heat and add the cream of chicken soup, milk, and garlic salt. Whisk all ingredients together until combined. Let simmer a few minutes. 


4) Grease 9x13 baking dish. Layer 1/2 pasta, 1/2 chicken, 1/2 veggies, 1/2 tomatoes, 1/2 sauce, then 1/2 cheese in that order. Then use the remaining ingredients to make another layer. I added some shredded cheese in the cracks and saved a little extra sauce for the top. 


5) Bake for 30 minutes with foil on top.
 Remove the foil and broil a few minutes until the top begins to brown. 
Let sit for a few minutes so it can set.


6) Dish up, serve, and enjoy!


Hunter and I may have eaten 3/4 of the pan alone.
I'll be making this again!

All my love,
Aleigh Joy











No comments:

Post a Comment