I love soup on rainy cold days.
I also love any excuse to use my big pot!
We had a lovely thunderstorm last week.
So lovely it flooded the street I needed to drive on to get to work!
I even got to wear my rain boots and bring my umbrella everywhere I went.
It was pretty awesome for a girl from San Diego.
The next best thing from candles burning and being snuggled in a blankie on a rainy day, is having a nice warm bowl of soup in front of you.
Hunter and I love Mexican food, so I came up with this recipe like a week after we got married when there was still snow on the ground.
It makes a whole lot of soup so cut things in half here and there if necessary, but we love having leftovers!
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 cups cooked and chopped chicken
- 1 Cup (red) diced bell pepper
- 1 Cup chopped onion
- 8 oz. diced green chiles (canned)
- 15 oz. black beans
- 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 14 oz. can diced tomatoes (i get the chipotle chili flavor)
- 3/4 cup corn
- 1/2 cup sliced olives (or more, I always add a little more)
- 48 oz chicken broth (or a little less depending on how much broth you like)
- 1/2 packet taco seasoning
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sliced lime
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheese
- Tortilla Chips
1.) Heat oil in pot, then sautee bell pepper and onion, then turn to medium heat
Cook chicken in the meantime with salt and pepper in a separate pan
2) Add green chiles, chicken, and all seasonings then stir it up good and cook for about 5 minutes continuing to stir.
3) Add tomatoes (and all liquid), black beans, corn, and olives, then stir. Now add in your tomato paste and combine all ingredients. Let cook for 5 more minutes stirring constantly.
4) Add chicken broth, stir it all up, and let simmer on low heat until bubbling. (add salt and pepper to taste)
5) Serve with all toppings and enjoy!
There ya have it!
I loaded this soup up with all sorts of stuff, and we personally love it over here.
Also, the crushed tortilla chips on top are a must.
Here's to soup season!
(unless you live in California, sorry guys)
All my love,