Sunday, January 25, 2015

Meatloaf, dreamier than you think.

So one of our fave meals in this house is meatloaf, and I'd just like to say that meatloaf should be named something else. Aside from the not so yummy name, it's really so good (if you make it like this). I grew up eating this, and my mom has always been darn good at making it. In fact, it's by far Logan's favorite dish that my mom makes. I haven't quite reached the level of perfection my mom has, but my meatload will suffice for now.

I start out with 2 lbs of lean ground beef (this time I used 94/6), but whatever floats your boat is great. Add in a load of delish things like bbq sauce, garlic, ranch seasoning, italian bread crumbs, milk, and egg.
 
gently mix the ingredients together, I used to use my hands but that really grossed me out. then take half the meat mixture and form a loaf on an 8x8 pan. and this next part is my favorite
Layer some sliced mozz on top of the loaf. This is a magical part of the dish, so dont skimp or skip.
Use the remaining meat to finish the meatloaf and try to seal in the cheese as best as you can. Then use another squeeze of bbq sauce to make it extra tangy and juicy. Bake that puppy at 350 for 45 minutes then "baste" once again, this time with ketchup, and continue cooking for 15 minutes.
 
We were so excited to eat that I forgot to take a picture of the finished product. It will be full of grease, it's just the way it goes. I used to use a loaf pan, but couldnt stand the amount of inevitable grease so I now use the 8x8 and it makes things much easier. You're welcome.
 
Michelle's Meatloaf:
2 lbs lean ground beef
1 egg
1/2 cup bread crubms
1/4 cup milk
2 tbsp dry ranch powder
2 tsp-ish of minced garlic
a few good squeezes of bbq sauce, its probably like 1/4 to 1/2 cup.
 
mix together, shape loaf, add sliced cheese, shape rest of the loaf. spread more bbq sauce on top.
 
bake at 350 for 45 minutes. add a small spread of ketchup, then bake for 15 minutes more. Serve with mashed potatoes. boom.
 
xoxo,
Michelle
 

No comments:

Post a Comment