Friday, September 5, 2014

Simple (healthy) Homemade Applesauce

So, if you're house is like mine, we go though an incredible amount of applesauce. My kids love it, Logan and I love it, I use it in recipes, as a topping for ice cream, the list goes on and on. While I'm in no way against store bought applesauce, I vow to never buy it again. You might feel the same after this post. This takes very little time, and its so pure. I love when I know exactly what I'm putting in my family's tummies. There are a few variations you can do, but I'll tell ya exactly what I do first.

I like to buy the 10 pound bag of red delicious apples from costco, I don't particularly like this apple for snacking, but it's great for applesauce. It's also typically one of the cheapest. The 10 pound bag is enough for 2 batches or 4 large mason jars worth of applesauce. So worth it!




I start off by washing and roughly slicing 5 lbs of apples. I leave the skin on, my kiddos don't notice it and the skin has loads of nutrients :) I used to peel the apples, and it worked just as well, but it takes a bunch of time and well, aint nobody got time for that, so skin on it is.

After I've filled my crock pot to the brim with my sliced apples, I pour a tablespoon or 2 of agave nectar in, as well as a teaspoon of lemon juice. Add about 1/4 cup of water just so you're sure not to burn the edges, but you don't need much at all. 


At this point you can put in a couple dashes of cinnamon, I chose not to this time, but it will make your house smell like such a dream even more than it already does. Some people also put in brown sugar, I've never done it because it's already plenty sweet for my taste, but I'm sure its delish.

Let that cook down on low for 4-6 hours. Your house will be smelling fantastic. 
once they look like this, you're ready to blend it. I spoon all of it into my blender and pulse it until its smooth like butta'. Pour in mason jars and you're done. Seriously. 



P.S. top vanilla ice cream with this warm applesauce, you'll think you died and went to heaven.


xoxo,
Michelle












No comments:

Post a Comment