Wednesday, August 13, 2014

My favorite green smoothie

Here's a little thing about me, I love eating healthy and I love eating junk. I love McDonalds fries, I cant help it, those things are heavenly. Even though I have my share of bad eating habits, I try to keep the food in our home relatively healthy. My kids, especially Landon, are pretty picky..most kids are right? It's a daily struggle trying to get them to eat what's good for them, but they LOVE smoothies. They'll drink them any time of day, and it makes things so much easier for me. It's not teaching them to love broccoli, but they're getting something wholesome, and with a 1 and 3 year old that's good enough for me! I'll admit, I am extra picky when it comes to smoothies, and there's a load of different green smoothies out there. I've tried TONS and honestly, so many of them were so gross to me, I wanted my smoothie to look green not taste green, and those littles of mine are pickier than I am. So I came across this recipe through the Vitamix lady at costco... it's truly perefection. No spinach taste at all and it still has 2 hefty handfuls of it in there. I very rarely use ice in my smoothies because in my opinion it waters things down too much so I use half fresh/half frozen fruit. In this one the real star of the show is frozen pineapple, and you can get it for less than $7 a bag at costco! Also, it kind of tastes like candy. I love pineapple. This recipe makes about enough to fill up 2 sippy cups and an 8 oz glass..so adjust accordingly.

1 large banana
1 large orange (sometimes I use a few cuties, whatever I have on hand)
2 1/2 cups frozen pineaple 
1 tbsp agave nectar (or honey if that tickles your fancy)
2 handfuls fresh baby spinach**

(I put the ingredients in the blender in the order that I wrote them)

**Here's a handy tip for making sure that baby spinach doesn't go to waste: I usually buy mine from costco and we can't eat it as quick as we need to, so after about 5 days of having it in my fridge I throw all of it in my blender with just a splash of water and pour it in ice cube trays. After they're frozen I put them in ziploc bags and store them in the freezer and use 1 or 2 of them anytime I make a smoothie.

xoxo, 
Michelle

p.s. if you wanted to opt out of the agave or honey you totally can. I've made it plenty of times without it, just know that if your orange is super tart you'll notice it more :) enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment